nsw gov logoHVS Period Options, Accessories & Safety Items

Scroll down the page for current list, as posted to all HVS clubs

pdf small For a PDF version of the TfNSW document...click here

Published October 2020 

As part of ongoing improvements to the Historic Vehicle Scheme, (HVS),Transport for NSW has compiled a list of period options, accessories and safety items which are accepted and are compliant with conditional registration under the Scheme.

We recommend all historic vehicle clubs circulate this list to members - to provide appropriate education and advice about the importance of following these guidelines. We invite all clubs to provide feedback and contribute to this list by emailing us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Any suggested additions to the list will be reviewed and determined by Transport for NSW. Clubs may need to provide evidence of the item being available in the period/s nominated.

We are also asking all car clubs in the Historic Vehicle Scheme to provide current contact details to ensure your club is receiving important updates and information. We would also like to know if your club is a member of an Approved Organisation and if so, we ask that you confirm which organisation to ensure the records are current. email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. and include the following details.

Contact Person: 


Mailing Address: 


Phone Number: 

Approved Organisation Name: 

Transport for NSW are committed to working closely with you to continually improve the Historic Vehicle Scheme and thank you in advance for any feedback you provide.


Eligibility for vehicles for inclusion in the Historic Vehicle Scheme (HVS)

Transport for NSW has compiled a defined list of period options, accessories and safety items which may help motoring clubs to determine if vehicles are eligible for inclusion in the Historic Vehicle Scheme. This list is for light vehicles it does not cover motorcycles or heavy vehicles.

Important considerations

The items listed below are considered acceptable period options, accessories and safety items for inclusion in the scheme.

This list will be used to determine if a vehicle is correctly registered under the scheme.

It is recommended that motoring clubs circulate this list to their members and that they provide appropriate education and advisory services

Clubs may suggest other items which they believe should be included in the list; additions will occur after consultation and shall be confirmed by Transport for NSW in writing.

The final decision as to whether an item is added to the list will be exclusively determined by Transport for NSW.

Clubs must provide evidence of the item being available in the period/s as nominated.

Technical considerations

Period accessories and options relative to a vehicles age or build date are considered to be within 2-3 years ('defined period') of the build date of the vehicle Note: There may be exceptions to this rule and clubs are invited to seek clarification where appropriate by emailing   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The installation of an item must not affect compliance with applicable vehicle standards.


Period Options

1. Tuning kits offered by a manufacturer or dealer and fitted by a manufacturer or dealer (for vehicles built before July 1976 or not built to ADR 27A)

2. Tuning kits offered by a manufacturer or dealer and fitted by the vehicle owner (for vehicles built before July 1976 or not built to ADR 27A)

3. Wheel of period type conforming to VSI09 (Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diameter and tyre profile for vehicles pre-1970). Both the wheels and tyres must have been available in the defined period (as stated in the technical consideration above)

4. Exhaust kits (for example, a Lukey muffler)

5. Lowering kits - maximum 25mm or 1 inch only permitted

6. Bonnet scoops

7. Sump guards

8. Airconditioning (including an under-dash system if not offered as an integrated system)

9. Water injection (for example, a Kleinig system)

10. Floor change conversions - OEM or aftermarket

11. Overdrive on gearbox - including a Laycock system or similar

12. Wire wheel conversion - whether optional or not

13. Disc brake conversions from later year of same make/model (Note: must be complete system including wheels and tyres)

14. Disc brake conversions from later model of same make (Note: must be complete system including wheels and tyres)

15. Optional engine fitment (Note:must be complete package including brakes, transmission, axles, wheels, tyres and other required items)

16. Optional Transmission change - including automatic to manual or manual to automatic conversion within manufacturer’s optional equipment

17. Half cage/single hoop roll bars in an open sportscar - CAMS or VSB14 - not allowed in sedans or Fixed Head Coupes(FHC)

18. Sun roof - OEM fitted

19. Sun roof replicating OEM (must have an accompanying VSCCS compliance certificate)

20. Webasto-type roof conversion - OEM fitted.


Period Accessories

Note: Accessories must be able to be removed and the vehicle returned to its original (“as built”) condition. 

1. Radio

2. Tape player - 8 track or cassette (not CD) - unless OEM fitted

3. Mudflaps

4. Wheel trims and hubcaps 

5. Rear window blinds that do not obstruct vision (for example, louvres are acceptable)

6. Mirrors - internal or external

7. Dash mounted fans(check regulations for applicability)

8. Additional instrumentation – dash mounted

9. Side window blinds 

10. Mesh headlamp covers 

11. Luggage racks (roof or boot)

12. Halda Speedpilot or TripMaster (or similar)

13. Map lamps and other internal reading lamps 

14. Driving and fog lamps - including mounts

15. Badge bars 

16. Bonnet mascots 

17. Additional chrome strips 

18. Additional reflectors - including scotch tape or otherwise

19. Demisters – including hot air or electric bar type

20. Heater - hot water type

21. Windscreen washers 

22. Bug deflectors

23. Sun visors - internal or external

24. Radiator/grille and insect screens

25. Water bag carriers and water bag 

26. Period metal fuel cans and wooden tool boxes on running boards

27. Additional spare wheel racks - roof or boot, running board or rear mounted racks

28. Additional horns (for example, Klaxons). Note: Must not alternate sound like an emergency vehicle. Must not be siren whistle or bell.

29. Reversing lamp/s 

30. Additional stop lamps 

31. Tow bar

32. Wheel spats

33. Wheel dress trims and rings

34. Hubcaps

35. White wall tyres

36. Hardtop for convertibles – OEM or aftermarket.

37. Pinstriping consistent with the period style at vehicle build date

38. Auxiliary Lighting - forward facing

39. Badge Bars 

40. Weathershields

41. Sunvisors



1. Seat belts – must be road approved (including, for example lap, lap sash and harness varieties). The belts must comply with Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulations2017

2. Vehicles built to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR) 4 and 5 must continue to comply

3. If a vehicle does not have seat belt mounts and seat belts are installed, they must be signed off by a suitably qualified Engineer

4. Child Restraint Anchorages (CRA) – a vehicle must comply with ADR 4 and 5

5. Direction indicators - can be white or amber (amber is preferred). The style must be in keeping with the defined period of the vehicle. Brake lamps flashing red for direction indicators are not acceptable. The replacement of semaphore type indicators is permitted.

6. Left-Hand Drive (LHD) sourced vehicles must have Right-Hand Drive (RHD) headlamps 

7. Toughened glass windscreens must have a safety zone immediately in front of the driver 

8. Imported vehicles may retain OEM belts. However, if the belts are fitted after importation, they must comply with Schedule 2 of theRoad Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulations

Note: seat belts and CRA are not mandatory if the vehicle was not fitted with seat belts or CRA as an OEM fitment.  However, they are strongly recommended for all vehicles where installation is possible. 








 nsw gov logoHVS Period Options, Accessories & Safety Items Update

Published  23 December 2020 

To view to full live document go to:>

Historic Vehicle Scheme period options, accessories and safety items - Historic vehicles - How to register a vehicle - Vehicle registration - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services (nsw.gov.au)

Safety items

Seatbelts – must be road approved (including, for example lap, lap sash and harness varieties). The belts must comply with Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulations 2017.

Vehicles built to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR) 4 and 5 must continue to comply.

If a vehicle does not have seatbelt mounts and seatbelts are installed, they must be signed off by a suitably qualified Engineer.

Child Restraint Anchorages (CRA) – a vehicle must comply with ADR 4 and 5.

Direction indicators – can be white or amber (amber is preferred). The style must be in keeping with the defined period of the vehicle. Brake lamps flashing red for direction indicators are not acceptable. The replacement of semaphore type indicators is permitted.

Left-Hand Drive (LHD) sourced vehicles must have Right-Hand Drive (RHD) headlamps.

Toughened glass windscreens must have a safety zone immediately in front of the driver.

Imported vehicles may retain OEM belts. However, if the belts are fitted after importation, they must comply with Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulations 2017.








cmc-logo-smallThe origin of HCRS plates (as they are now known) dates back to 1958. The members of the Veteran Car Club of Australia (New South Wales region) were actively involved in the restoration and preservation of veteran vehicles and were often requested to attend various functions and public events including school fetes and parades such as the Waratah Festival, at the invitation of the NSW government. They were also invited to attend charity events in addition to normal club rallies and activities. In order to transport the vehicles to these various functions the owner was required to obtain an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP) from the Department of Motor Transport at a cost, at that time, of £2 (two pounds), which was a reasonable amount in those days.

A member of the VCCA, Mr Victor Jacobs (owner of Broadway Motors) was actively involved in the Lions Club and was a well-known businessman who was approached by Anthony Horderns to arrange a display of veteran vehicles at Anthony Hordern’s department store in Pitt Street Sydney. The entry fee was a silver coin with the proceeds to go to charity. Anthony Horderns chose Legacy and the Limbless Soldiers Association as beneficiaries. The display was opened by a Mr. Enticknap, who was President of the Limbless Soldiers Association and also the Minister for Transport in New South Wales. During the process of the evening Mr Enticknap asked how the vehicles were brought to the venue and it was explained that an unregistered vehicle permit was required each time the cars were driven. Mr Enticknap was taken by the generosity of the VCCA in supplying the cars and on the basis of “you have done something for others so I will try and do something for you” he referred the matter to the Commissioner of Motor Transport.

The VCCA were invited to attend a meeting with the Commissioner with a view to looking for a better process to move the veteran cars to various events without the constant attendance at a registry office to obtain a ‘UVP’. The members of the VCCA who attended the meeting were George Roberts, George Green and Alan Rose-Bray. George Roberts suggested the possible issue of a “special plate” to be attached to veteran cars that would act as a ‘UVP’ for the movement of the cars. The Commissioner agreed to this proposal in the light of the credibility of the VCCA and its community activities.

A list of eleven guidelines were instituted by the VCCA and offered to the Commissioner and an agreement was struck on the 9th of April 1959 with Mr. Alan Rose-Bray of the VCCA and Mr. Sep Hall, VCCA’s legal advisor, and the Commissioner in attendance. An initial quantity of 100 sets of special Veteran Car Club plates coloured, red and white, were issued at an annual fee of £1/10/- (one pound, ten shillings), thereby commencing the “club plate” system. It was on this precedent that other clubs applied for their dispensation.

John Hewitt
Honorary Secretary
Veteran Car Club of Australia (NSW Region)


There have been some questions recently regarding who can drive or ride a HVS & CVS registered vehicle.

The NSW RTA advise that as the vehicle is registered in NSW, albeit conditionally, anyone holding a valid licence which the NSW RTA recognise and is suitable for the vehicle concerned can operate the vehicle with the registered owner’s permission. The rules pertaining to L and P plate drivers and riders naturally apply. There is no NSW RTA requirement for that person to be a member of the Primary Club which issued the HVS & CVS 1259 form. If any individual Club has by laws to the contrary then those by laws prevail. Again this is a matter for the Clubs to handle and decide on their particular needs. The CMC will not intervene in such things. The Club concerned has to make their own decisions.

New rules have just been issued by the Dept of Fair Trading regarding Incorporated Associations. As far as I can see they make things much easier to handle with less paperwork etc. They have been posted to all known Public Officers of Clubs so if you have not received them please contact the Department as either your Public Officer’s details are out of date or some other problem needs sorting. And may I again tell you that if you are an Incorporated Association you must submit an annual return. At least one Club we have heard about has been de registered and fined for failing to do so over several years. And recent changes in the NSW RTA mean that no Incorporated Association status means no HVS & CVS approval.

www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au or phone 13 32 20.

Public Liability Insurance is something that all Clubs should hold. It is not compulsory these days as the Department of Fair Trading has dropped that from the latest rules for Incorporated Associations. Many Clubs go without, as the costs are too high for what seems to be a minimal risk. I always quote the example of a Club display where the banner is erected. That falls over and hits someone on the head with dire consequences. Imagine the difficulty for the committee if the Club is sued and there is no insurance cover. Loss of assets by the President and others is a possibility.

Coverage can be obtained from several Brokers including TCIS in Adelaide, and CAMS. Many Clubs think that CAMS are only for car racing Clubs however their insurance covers all Clubs, no matter if they race or not. Later this year CAMS will come out with a package for non racing Clubs which will be very competitively priced. I declare my interest in this as I am the Chair of the CAMS Marque Touring and Enthusiasts Commission or MTEC. I took on this role to gain benefits for the non racing Clubs. It has been a long battle to get things approved as change is always resisted. I hope that when you see the greatly reduced costs on offer with a $100 M coverage from a very substantial company, you will see that benefits have been gained.


Terry Thompson OAM

Held at the Western Suburbs Australian Football Club
40 Hampton Street, Croydon Park 
on Wednesday 15th June 2011 at 8:00pm

In the Chair: T. Thompson, President.

Attendees: 90 delegates and members attended.

President, T. Thompson welcomed delegates and club members to the meeting.

Since the first forum on HCRS in June 2009, there have been some changes to the HCRS, which were outlined by T. Thompson:

1. Load limits on commercial vehicles on HCRS have been set at two thirds of the original load limit.  These vehicles are not to be used for commercial purposed, and are restricted to carrying only the owner's personal goods, or goods intended for a club event.  This load limit does not apply to fully-registered commercial vehicles.

2. LPG on HCRS vehicles, which were originally fitted with LPG may stay on gas.  In the past, conversion of HCRS vehicles to LPG was unacceptable; the rule change now states that conversion is possible provided "as long as it does not alter the original state of the vehicle".   The rebate for fitting LPG does not apply to vehicles either on HCRS or converting to HCRS. 

3. Child restraints laws, in force since March 2010, state that "you cannot carry children in vehicles unless they are in a fully-authorised and certified child restraint or booster seat, which complies with the current rules and regulations".  In order for this to happen the vehicles must have seat belts (lap/sash) fitted.  "Any child under the age of 1 year old cannot be carried in any vehicle whatsoever, if it does not have the full kit including the seat belts".  From 1-7 years old, the child must be restrained in a proper authorised booster seat and restraint, which again, requires (lap/sash) seat belts to be fitted. 

If the vehicle was not fitted with seat belts when new, it does not have to have seat belts to be on HCRS, or full registration.  However, if you can obtain an RTA authorised engineer (Signatory) to provide a letter, which says that it is not reasonably practical to fit seat belts to a particular vehicle, which was manufactured prior to seat belt legislation, then you do not have to have the child restraint, if on HCRS.

Feedback from the known signatories states that they would not sign such a letter, because of the ambiguity of the statement "not reasonably practical".  A suggestion from the floor was for the CMC to locate a signatory / signatories, who is / are prepared to sign such a document, and publicise their contact details on the CMC website.

The current situation therefore is,

i. if your completely unmodified vehicle was not fitted with seat belts from the date of manufacture, it does not have to have them. 

ii. if you wish to carry a child under the age of 1 year old, you must have the proper capsule style restraints, including lap/sash seat belts.    No exemptions are available.

iii. if you wish to carry a child from the ages of 1 - 7 years old, and your vehicle does not have seat belts because it was manufactured prior to the introduction of seat belts, then you must have a letter from an authorised RTA signatory, which states that, it is not reasonably practical to fit seat belts (which would then attach to child restraints) to that particular vehicle.  You would then need to carry that letter in the vehicle at all times in the event that you are pulled over by police, as proof that you are authorised to carry the child under those conditions.  .  For further information regarding child restraints please go to the RTA's official website at : http://rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/children/childrestraints/index.html

T. Thompson then opened the forum to questions and discussion from the floor, where he was able to clarify some points, regarding the above.

4. Using your vehicle for a wedding car / school formal etc, and accepting remuneration, in any form, is illegal unless they are registered for that purpose.   The insurance for authorised hire cars and taxis is extremely high.   If the wedding is a club event and noted in club minutes, it is okay to use your vehicle. You must therefore, carry evidence of this in your vehicle at the time.   However, once again, under no circumstances are you permitted to receive remuneration.   In all of these situations it is imperative that you obtain permission from your club to use your vehicle for this purpose. 

5. HCRS vehicles being used in movies / television programmes can only do so with the permission of their club and are not permitted to carry passengers or to accept remuneration.  It may be that any expenses incurred may be reimbursed.  However, the finer details of this situation are unclear at this stage.     If the movie / television programme is being filmed in a car park, be aware that a car park is not deemed to be a "closed road" situation and is still considered to be a public road.  The penalty for driving an 'unregistered vehicle' is currently set at $1,089 and the loss of 4 points from your licence.

A member of the forum described how his club covers this situation with the use of either a tilt truck, or an Unregistered Vehicle Permit, to enable the vehicle to be driven to the 'set', again with club's permission.   Once there, the vehicle is covered by the film company's insurance, and is covered by the Unregistered Vehicle Permit for the duration of the 'shoot' and for the area of the 'film set' only.

It was advised by a member of the forum that the origin of the club plate system came about when members of the Veteran Car Club were given the first plates, in 1959, as "a gift" for its services to the community, by raising funds for charity, and in order that the vehicle could be moved from one place to the next in this role.  Other clubs then followed suit and applied for club plates.   Prior to this, an Unregistered Vehicle Permit was required every time you wished to drive the vehicle on a public road. 

6. HCRS Victorian and South Australian Logbook Scheme. South Australia has a 90-day scheme where logbooks are issued by your club and you are permitted 90 entries in any one year, for a 30-year old historic vehicle, and as long as you make an entry in the logbook, you are permitted to take that vehicle wherever you please.  It does not have to be a club event.  This scheme has been operation in SA for some time. 

A logbook audit, performed by volunteers, is now being proposed because of people rorting the system by not filling in their logbook and reaching for it to fill in on the spot, when pulled over by the police.  It is also now being proposed that recognised clubs in SA must become a member of the Federation to allow their member vehicles, who qualify, to obtain a logbook.  This happens in the ACT, and SA is now asking to adopt this prerequisite, because of the clubs who are operating outside of the Council.   The SA logbook system costs $143 p.a. (includes CTP green slip); NSW pays $50 (includes CTP green slip) for our current system. 

T. Thompson stated that anecdotal evidence suggests there had been an upsurge in claims for historically registered vehicles, in the early days of the scheme, because people were taking their vehicles out on a non-club run; parking them on the street, in a more vulnerable environment than they would otherwise be if they were on at a club event, and having the vehicles damaged, stolen or vandalised. 

Victoria is the last state in Australia to introduce a conditional registration scheme for historic vehicles and has opted to base their model on the SA scheme, having a 90-day and a 45-day option.  They have remained with a 25-year old cut-off date, not a 30-year date.  At this stage they will pay $65, but a recent letter states that the Victorian authority will be raising the fee following a review of the system. 
A decision will be forthcoming on 1st July 2011.  There has been some concern in Victoria that there will be an upsurge in club memberships and a downturn of people attending club events, because it is not a requirement of the scheme that conditional registration holders attend such events.  They only need to renew once a year and collect a logbook.

There have been a few NSW club members who have expressed a desire to change to the Victorian model.  Following the letter regarding this forum was sent to clubs; all of the replies received have expressed a desire to remain with the current NSW HCRS system.

A comment was made that in NSW it is imperative that proof of registration and a Certificate of Approved Operation, (a purple document)  must be carried in your vehicle at all times, and some evidence that you are on a club event should also be carried.  The Club's magazine is a good idea.

T. Thompson opened the meeting to comments / discussion from the floor.

  • A comment from a member of the forum stated that under the SA scheme, if you are caught without the correct entry in your logbook, you can be charged with driving and unregistered vehicle. The penalty is payment of a hefty fine and you are then required to pay one-years full registration on the vehicle.  The same penalty applies if you are caught speeding in a conditionally registered historic vehicle.  He stated that the SA scheme initially may look like an attractive option, but bears closer scrutiny before all issues become evident.
  • T. Thompson stated that under the SA scheme, if you take your vehicle out on a two-day event, this requires two separate entries in the log-book.  The same would apply to a week-long event.   The NSW scheme merely requires evidence that you are attending a club event and you are covered for as many days as the event takes place, plus the trip to and from.
  • Further comments from the floor stated that under the Victorian scheme it is difficult for Club Plate Registrars to scrutinise member's logbooks because they are not attending club meetings or events.   It was also commented that a regulation published on the VicRoads website, that a movement of more than 100 metres from the vehicle's garage site constitutes one trip.  i.e. filling up on with petrol on the day before a club run requires an entry on the logbook.
  • A comment stated that "Clubs are required to sign an agreement with VicRoads that they meet certain obligations including that they notify VicRoads if they become aware of, or reasonably suspect, a pattern of incorrect use of a logbook by a member. If this is not done, VicRoads will be able to revoke the club's approval to be part of the scheme".  (A copy of the regulations governing the VicRoads scheme is attached for your information).
  • It was commented that some clubs, on the NSW scheme, state that members on HCRS plates must attend at least 3 meetings or 3 events each year to obtain renewal.  If adopted by Victoria clubs, this would allow for logbooks to be checked on a regular basis.  One club stated that with the 90-day logbook scheme, would it not be possible to stipulate that 45 of the 90 days must be spent on club events / meetings to gain renewal?   The downside to this is that it would penalise some club members who through illness or some other legitimate reason were unable to maintain the 45-day requisite.
  • Thompson asked for a show of hands on which clubs present would be interested in approaching the RTA to change to the Victorian logbook scheme.  Of the 90 people attending the forum there were 6 only in favour of this approach, with the overwhelming majority opting to stay with the current NSW HCRS model.
  • A comment from one member of the forum stated that his club has refused to renew a particular member's conditional registration because he had not attended any meetings or club events for over a year.
  • A comment was made regarding the inconsistency between RTA local offices regarding HCRS registration applications.  T. Thompson stated that this was a problem with the RTA's training methods.
  • A question was asked about impromptu runs by clubs, and what evidence could be carried to prove that the vehicles were on a club run.  T. Thompson replied that a printed-off email carried in the vehicle attesting to the run would be sufficient evidence.
  • There is anecdotal evidence that Victorian clubs with vehicles on conditional registration have been notified that their insurers are suggesting that that their CTP may increase by 500%.  The $65 fee is only up to the end of June this year.
  • There have been issues with modified vehicles under the Victorian scheme.  Many have crept onto CH plates and had then to be sorted out.
  • A discussion surrounding replicas being placed on HCRS arose.  The RTA does not allow replicas to be registered under the HCRS.  If built in a particular year, they must wait until the 30-year mark.
  • A question arose regarding engine changes on HCRS vehicles.  T. Thompson advised that the logical procedure is to ensure that the relevant paperwork is correct and to advise the RTA when you are renewing your registration.   Your Club Registrar should also be advised of the new engine number at the time of the changeover.   The new engine should be the correct one for the marque ensuring the vehicle is as close to original as possible.  This is an RTA regulation, not a club condition.

A member asked a further question about a change of engine to a similar, but slightly larger engine.  T. Thompson replied that this was, again, a club issue rather than an RTA one. 

He also spoke of period options and accessories and advised that it is wise to keep records of these things related to your car as an aid when registering vehicles on full or HCRS registration.  Issues regarding period options and accessories are not necessarily covered by RTA stipulations, but may again be a club interpretation.

  • It was noted that some Landrovers have Holden engines, which were installed due to problems with the original engines. T. Thompson advised that as this was a broad-based change.  If there is evidence that your vehicle was involved in this changeover, more than 30 years ago, you will be covered.
  • P. Marshall-Cormack made mentioned of the CMC's recent negotiations regarding the age of a vehicle's chassis and not the body being the criteria for the age of a vehicle under HCRS.  T. Thompson then outlined how the current RTA regulations, regarding "individually constructed vehicles", were affecting the Hot Rod and Street Rod movement, among others.  As an example he spoke of a chassis of a 1927 Whippet he had purchased and donated to a Mudgee Men's Shed group, who built a boat-tail body onto the vehicle and raffled it raising $45,000 for prostrate cancer research.  He pointed out to the RTA that this regulation would adversely affect the production of this type of vehicle.   The RTA changed the regulation.  This is an example of what the ACMC (consisting of the CMC, the Australian Street Rod Federation and the Street Machine Association) is able to achieve as an advocate for ALL motoring clubs.
  • A comment made about what a member of the forum perceived as a positive regarding the 90-day logbook scheme, was that you were allowed 90 days use of your HCRS registered vehicle. He suggested that under the NSW scheme there were many days when the vehicle could be used on clubs runs etc. "without stretching any rules".

T. Thompson replied that some clubs use the events published on the CMC Events Calendar on it's website as their club events calendar, which is perfectly legal and allows them more opportunities to use their vehicles. 

B. Horne stated that under the NSW scheme he had completed 57,000 miles, over many years, on his car and has had plenty of use of the scheme. 

L. Gough stated that it is important to remember that under the NSW HCRS model, you must first abide by the club rules as they were given to the RTA, and which the RTA holds, and the RTA website.  If there are any changes then the club must amend its rules and submit them to the RTA in Grafton for approval.  You must also send the RTA any changes to the executive committee of your club, including the Club Plate Registrar.  You must also provide the RTA with a Certificate of Incorporation of your club.

  • A question was asked about interstate events, and how long clubs are permitted to remain interstate when on HCRS registration.  T. Thompson replied that the limit set by the RTA is 3 months.   The member also asked about whether NSW insurance regarding HCRS vehicles was covered while in Western Australia.  T. Thompson replied that it is covered as they now recognize NSW insurance as it is currently a conditional registration scheme, not the old scheme where a Permit to Move an Unregistered Vehicle was used.
  • A question was asked about converted left-hand drive vehicles changing to HCRS.  T. Thompson advised this is not a problem.  But, a problem would arise if they were to be changed back to full registration.  In this instance you would need to have proof that the vehicle was previously on full registration.  In this instance it is imperative that you keep your previous paperwork.
  • A question was also asked about whether it is acceptable to allow cars which have been converted to right-hand drive to change to HCRS.  T. Thompson advised that if it had been engineered in Australia, or was previously registered in Australia and provided with a blue slip, then this was acceptable.   At this point in time it is also legal to register a 30-year old left-hand drive vehicle on full registration.
  • K. Toovey (in absentia) asked whether a vehicle, having been imported from overseas, requires a blue or a pink slip to place it on HCRS.  T. Thompson advised that a pink slip is all that is required, but if there is no previous registration you must have 'proof of purchase'
  • A discussion followed, surrounding structural and mechanical changes to vehicles on HCRS.  A member noted a number of anomalies existed regarding vehicles within his club.  He stated that on occasion, where the details of their registrations were incorrect, members of his club were required to cancel the current registration and re-register the vehicle.
  • A question was asked regarding unfinancial club members with vehicles on HCRS. T. Thompson replied that if they are unfinancial, then they are unregistered, and in the event of an accident they would be charged with driving an unregistered vehicle and would be subject to whatever penalties apply.  ($1,089 and 4 points loss).  The onus, in this instance is on the owner to ensure he is financial.  In the instance that you are a member of a number of clubs, if you are financial with a secondary club and wish to take part in their club run, but you are not financial with your primary club, you are deemed to be unregistered.  You must be financial with all clubs, especially your primary club.

Under the current Victorian scheme, the onus is on the club to report them to VicRoads if they become unfinancial.
At the conclusion of the Forum, T. Thompson spoke of the Services Directory on the CMC website, which contained names and contacts for HCRS and pink slip-friendly providers.  The directory is open to all CMC club members and all trades, not just automotive, who wish to advertise their services here.  The first year is free of charge and will then attract a small fee to help finance the upkeep of the website.

There is now a dedicated page on the website dealing with ALL aspects of the HCRS.

T. Thompson thanked the members for attending as asked that any suggestions for further forums would be gratefully received by the CMC.  You can email suggestions to:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The Forum closed at 9:40pm



From 1 February 2011, new conditions of use for club permit vehicles apply.

Under the new conditions of use, permit holders are no longer restricted to club sanctioned activities when using their vehicles. Club Permit vehicles can be used at any time for any purpose other than for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward.

A logbook is issued to permit holders to record the use of the vehicle over the permit period. A logbook entry must be made each day that the vehicle is used (unless the vehicle is within 100 metres of the garaged address).

A logbook must be carried in the vehicle, or on the rider in the case of motorcycles, at all times the vehicle is in use.

Financial members of VicRoads' approved clubs are able to apply for either a 45 or 90 day permit depending on how much use they expect to make of their vehicles over a 12 month period. If a person obtains a 45 day permit but later decides that this is not enough, another 45 day permit may be purchased later on. 

However, no-one will be able to obtain a permit to drive their vehicle for more than 90 days in each 12 month registration period.

Other features of the new scheme include:

  • A windscreen label will be issued to assist in identifying vehicles operating with a current permit;
  • VicRoads may suspend or cancel a permit if the permit holder fails to comply with the permit conditions or engages in conduct which threatens public safety or undermines the integrity of the permit scheme;
  • Clubs are required to sign an agreement with VicRoads that they meet certain obligations including that they notify VicRoads if they become aware or reasonably suspect a pattern of incorrect use of a logbook by a member. If this is not done, VicRoads will be able to revoke the club's approval to be part of the scheme.
  • Club permit holders already on the scheme prior to 1 February 2011 have been issued with a free 90 day transitional logbook. The transitional logbook will be able to be used until the current permit expires. The logbook is valid until the permit expiry date and allows use up to a maximum of 90 days prior to the expiry date.

Permit holders operating with the transitional logbook are not issued with a windscreen label or logbook certificate sticker until the current permit is renewed after 1 February 2011.

Slim line club permit number plates will be made available upon commencement of production.

Applying for a club permit

To apply for a Club permit you will need to complete a Club Permit Application form together with:

  • written verification by the club secretary (or person authorised by VicRoads) that the applicant for the club permit is a member of the car club
  • in the case of a club historic vehicle that is not a street rod, a current certificate of roadworthiness or a letter from a scrutineer authorised by the club, stating that the vehicle is safe for use on the road
  • in the case an application made in respect of a street rod, that is a vehicle modified in excess of the level prescribed in the Vehicle Standards Information No.8. (VSI8) document [PDF, 1.06 MB, 6pp.], a Street Rod Inspection certificate issued by Jean - Christophe Bonneville (VASS No. 1042) of Bonneville Consulting, 19 Cantala Court, Endeavour Hills, Victoria 3802. Bonneville Consulting can be contacted on Tel: 0427212464.
  • Club Permit fee - refer to Permits (Club, Rally and Unregistered Vehicle Permits)


Refunds are not available for Club Permits if the period for which the permit was obtained has commenced.